View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 10:46 PM   #9
SteveR.

Default Re: Steering wheel turns light switch rod

Thanks for posting this. I've had this problem for a while, but it recently/randomly got much worse. I added the bushing from Brattons, cleaned/oiled & straightened the light switch rod and it works perfectly now, no friction at all between the steering wheel and light switch. Previously a normal turn would turn the switch all the way from one side to the other, flashing all the lights in the process.

For anyone who needs to do this, I removed the bail on the bottom of the steering column/switch, removed the switch, then removed the two bolts at the bottom of the steering column. Squeeze the spring at the bottom of the steering column, and a slotted collar will drop off the bottom of the rod, releasing the light switch rod. Pretty simple, took maybe 30 minutes in all. I straightened the rod by rolling it on a flat surface (tool box drawer) and looking for bends. Gentle bending was all it took to straighten it. I removed the two bolts from the bottom of the steering column which allowed just enough play to install the rod without bending.

I ordered two of the bushings, they were both split, so you could probably install without pulling the rod. Glad I ordered two, they are so thin I squished the first one just opening the bag.

Thanks for all the input above...it's nice to have a car where a significant issue takes less than 30 minutes to fix!
SteveR. is offline   Reply With Quote