View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 02:20 PM   #46
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Who's gonna fill their shoes?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
The real difference, as the title of this thread states, is the mentoring that is not available today. Back when we were kids, we thought nothing of tearing into any automotive project we had a mind (or a need) to, because the knowledge we needed to complete the project was right there at the source of parts purchased. The junk yard operator, the auto parts store, even the parts department at new car dealerships could offer advice and tutoring. Today, all that knowledge is gone, and we have only each other to rely on for advice and mentoring. The hobby will go on, but with far fewer owners able to perform their own basic maintenance, let alone repair work.
Interesting take. Sort of related, but I have resisted doing anything related to the CPU's on our daily drivers. I viewed the computer controls as the devil and didn't want to fool with them.

Thank goodness for Youtube and people willing to post tutorials on how to work on the increasing amount of electrical components on cars. I'm no longer reluctant to fool with these components and found it quite easy to do since the scanner will tell you the problem.

It does relate to our old cars for when you can tackle remapping, etc., old cars seem super simple (which in most cases they are). You'd be surprise how many in the hobby post videos related to old Fords on Youtube as well.

Often, I'll bring the laptop into the garage to watch a video of someone doing a repair and follow along as I do the same.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote