View Single Post
Old 08-31-2020, 04:59 AM   #30
SAJ

Default Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Synchro, wintergreen oil is the common name for methyl salicylate. It is a cousin of aspirin ( acetyl salicylic acid) chemically, with many similar anti inflammatory properties. It is a flavouring ingredient of some drinks such as sarsparilla, available freely from suppliers of perfumes and flavours as the pure chemical.
It is found as a wetting or creep agent in many metal lubricant and protection sprays, including one I used to make and market.
Where did you see it is banned or limited?
Finally it can be used to soften old rubber. We used to put go-cart tyres in an old milk churn, put in a cup of methyl salicylate and the vapours would, over a couple of weeks, perfuse into the tyres and make them softer stickier and more grippy. The club outlawed this method when they found out what was happening I believe.
Altogether a magic compound in many ways, found in nature in many plants as are other wonderful essential oils such as eucalyptus and camphor.
Aspirin was first extracted from willow bark.
After writing this looked up the SDS of MMO and it contains di-chlorobenzene isomers. These are carcinogenic and more likely the controlled imports. Wintergreen oil is not in the SDS I saw.
SAJ in NZ

Last edited by SAJ; 08-31-2020 at 05:10 AM. Reason: added material
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote