View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 05:09 PM   #1
Stephenorf

Default Perforated Trunk Floor - Master Series Silver

So I removed the fuel tank from my 1959 Mercury Monterey to have it reconditioned. While it was out I thought I'd do a little cleanup on the trunk floor.

Exidently the infamous PO did some "repairs" to the trunk floor, which might have worsened the situation. As far as I can tell, the PO used some sort of rust converter, and then maybe an undercoating substance on top. The result was rust "bubbles" on the trunk floor. While the tank was out I decided to see what was going on with the rust. I used an angle grinder and a wire wheel (a wire cup actually) and did my best to clean the trunk floor and use the wire brush to dislodge and sweep away as much jusk as I could from the floor. After a couple passes this is what I have left.

I have used this stuff called Master Series Silver before (recenty ona pole barn to treat the rusty poles), but not on a car (well, I did test a spot on a rusted out outer rocker just to see how it would look). Anyway, its supposed to fill in 'pin holes' and be realy good at coating rusty metal surfaces locking out rust. I called Master Series and talked to Pat, and explained that the perforations were bigger than 'pin holes'. He said use a product called Master Series Silver Supreme, which is a lot thicker and he said shuld fill in the small holes nicely. Once cured, the Master Series stuff is supposed to be hard as a rock, can be painted over, and is impervious moisture and most chemicals.

He also said I need to clean the bottom of the trunk floor and coat both sides of the metal. I'm pretty sure if I wire brush from the bottom I'm going to find additional perforated metal (ok, no big deal I guess), and probably make the existing perforations a little larger (hmm...).

They do not make replacement trunk floors, so buying a new trunk floor is probably not going to happen. I'm pretty sure patchng it is a no-go based on the heavy pitting I can see in some areas. So, the Master Series seems to be a reasonable altrnative.

Has anyone here used the Master Series product?

I wasn't looking to 'restore' this car just yet. So I really don't want a big project. But to that end, any other creative/constructive sugestions other than Master Series for a short term/long term solution?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220626_190334.jpg (79.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220626_190359.jpg (79.2 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220626_190354.jpg (79.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220626_154112.jpg (62.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220626_190413.jpg (83.5 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220626_190427.jpg (78.4 KB, 81 views)
Stephenorf is offline   Reply With Quote