Thread: Trip
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 01:45 AM   #112
Lawrie

Default Re: Trip

Last few days,
The last few days have been the best so far,yesterday I went on a small aeroplane flight down to lake Eyre, an all day tour, stopping at some interesting places, like the :dig tree: the place were explorer burk and wills perished in the 1860,s
We landed on just a dirt strip of graded sand,then on to Inaminka for smoko , then Birdsville for lunch at the pub, and a beer for me.
We flew over two huge river systems out here, the Cooper and the Diamantina,these were in full flow and is something special after the drought, they merged and the water was 60 klms wide as you can see in the pics,we went as low as 150 feet and saw the water actually flowing into lake Eyre which is some thing VERY special,this water flows all the way to South Australia then to the sea,the water was full of mobs of pelicans and we were so low ,out the window I see a wedge tail eagle that is above us and just floating around,
I left for the airport at 6 am and the temp was 3 deg C , the 33 cranked over a bit slower than normal but fired up ok,and got back at just on dark so a big day.
What I realised from the flight is how big this country is ,from horizon to horizon as flat as and we went from green country to red gibberish stone desert to red sandy desert to the vast expanse of the Lake Eyre,
The merged rivers were flooding the causeway and was 3 mtrs deep,over it, so the vehicles were stuck on each sides , they said it would be some 3 or more weeks before it receded
I had and easy day today doing some grocery shopping and answering questions about the 33 when it was passed in town,
I’m off to muttaburra, where they found a very large dynosaur skeleton, for a few days ,
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote