View Single Post
Old 09-06-2020, 02:09 AM   #163
Terry Burtz, Calif

Default Re: The Terry Burtz 5 main bearing engine blocks are back on track.

I guess I wasn’t very clear in the wording of my question. I wasn’t asking for the name of the 3rd party, but where geographically. Carl

Geographically, the new engine parts were manufactured in mainland China and transported to Hong Kong. From Hong Kong, the parts were air transported to a port of entry in the USA to pass customs, and from there, they were air transported to an airport near the 3rd party. After arrival at the airport near the 3rd party, the parts were transported by truck to the 3rd party. FedEx took care of all transportation. The parts are in the United States for 3rd party evaluation and we will get to see them on the afternoon of Sept. 8.

Terry, can you tell us what type of valve guide the third party used? Are they pressed in or the type that are held in by the valve spring single piece or original 2 piece used with original type valves with mushroom ends? dennisklisenen

The interfaces on the new cylinder block are identical to original, so any of the original or aftermarket valve guides that don't require cylinder block modifications will work.

The 3rd party made the choice to use the "Modern Valve Kit" from Antique Engine Rebuilding in Skokie, IL. This kit uses press in guides.

The 3rd party has built over 300 engines using these valve guides.

I'm happy that the tolerances on the new cylinder block were compatible for a press fit of the new aftermarket valve guides, and that the valve seats were concentric with the valve guides.

We are only supplying the cylinder block, crankshaft, and connecting rods.

Our validation plan allows the 3rd party builder to choose the other parts that he has experience with to complete an engine and deliver a quality product.
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote