View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 10:42 PM   #139
Terry Burtz, Calif

Default Re: The Terry Burtz 5 main bearing engine blocks are back on track.

Terry, I used to get your email updates on the new engine, but don't any more. I have been following your updates with great interest and desire to purchase. In preparation for my order which just awaits your go ahead, please include my email address on your followers list so I will get the go ahead to order early. Thank you for your commitment to the project and the excitement you are bringing to our hobby. Russ/40

Russ, Thanks for letting me know that you are no longer receiving the updates by Email. I'm always trying to shorten the Email list. When I get a message that an Email was undeliverable for some reason, I delete that Email address from the list.
I see that you have 2 Email addresses and have added both to the list.

I also would be interested in the new blocks and would . can you keep me in the loop when they will be ready for sale. Thanks Lawrie

Lawrie, When we have parts for sale, we will notify people on the Email list, MARC chapters, MAFCA chapters, and forums. I see that you are not on the Email list, so you will likely hear about it on FordBarn.

Maybe the question should be how much power can it handle. The weak link is usually the crank and this one looks pretty stout.
It would be fun to put a good overhead on it and see how it will RPM. Dodge

Dodge, I had the connecting rods finite element analyzed for 150 HP at 5000 RPM (158 lb-ft at 5000 RPM) and the stresses were very low. More can be found here http://www.modelaengine.com/12-conne...gn-a-6200.html
The crankshaft is stout and well supported compared to a Model A or B crankshaft, but has not been analyzed.

Terry, Thank you for your very thorough description of the production process and what to expect in the final product.
From what I’ve read, all the machining will be done so the block will be ready For the engine builder to assemble the engine. I assume the buyer will have the option to use insert or Babbitt bearings. Is that correct? David

David, Yes, the cylinder block, crankshaft, and connecting rods will be ready for assembly using bearing inserts that GM used from 1955 until 2003. If you want Babbitt, your engine builder can provide, but it will be an added expense to pour and line bore.

Hi Terry, I have followed your efforts for years, good to see it coming together.
I will need a block late this fall to assemble and test. I will pair it with a Roof overhead valve head I have in storage. I am also developing a set of hydraulic lifters that are contained in the profile of a standard Model A tappet. I had this head on a "B" block that cracked and at the time was having a problem keeping the valve lash within tolerance...thus the hydraulic lifters.
This setup put out about 118 hp on the dyno at 3500 rpm. I think your block assembly will work well with this project.
Upon successful completion of the test assembly, I am interested in becoming one of your wholesale purchasers of the block assemblies.
I look forward to the engine being available. Dave

Dave, Thanks for the kind words
The main oil gallery is just above the valve chamber floor and runs the full length of the cylinder block. The gallery is located between the cylinders and tappet bosses. From the centerline of the main bearings, the centerline of the gallery is 2.35 inches in the horizontal direction and 4.46 inches in the vertical direction. The diameter of the main oil gallery is .393 inches in diameter. Every one of the tappet bosses could be drilled from the valve cover side through to the gallery and the starting hole could be plugged with a setscrew.
We would be happy for you to become a dealer with a wholesale account.

Terry, Would you share the part numbers for the insert main and rod bearings and rear crankshaft seal?
I assume the front will or could be a modern or the standard packing seal.
I'm interested and would like to check availability of the required parts to assemble one. Thank you, Dave

The inserts are MAHLE part number CB745P (trimetal) and they were used from 1955 to 2003 in several V-8, 6, and 4-cylinder engines built by General Motors. The first usage was in the 1955 265 cubic inch V-8, and the last usage was in the 2.0 liter 4 cylinder OHV that was made in 2003. Both the main and connecting rod journals are the same at 2 inch diameter. The price for a pair of inserts including postage can be less than $3 for a pair. 12 pairs of inserts are required for the new engine. Check out Ebay #281494310467. Other manufacturers also make this insert.

The new cylinder block and rear main cap will have a bore of 5-inch diameter, and the crankshaft will have the flywheel mounting flange (4-inch diameter) that is extended forward to provide a seal rubbing surface. The rear main seal will be a SKF 39933, Timken 415035, or others with a 5 inch OD that seals on a 4-inch shaft. The seals mentioned above have garter springs. Garter springs are usually not used on high speed shafts, so we will likely remove the garter spring for our engineering evaluation engine.
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote