View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 01:31 PM   #125
Terry Burtz, Calif

Default Re: The Terry Burtz 5 main bearing engine blocks are back on track.

The delay due to machining locomotive cylinder heads is over and the new engine cylinder blocks are back to being machined. The connecting rods and crankshaft are complete and have been fit checked against one another. After the cylinder blocks are complete, there will be a fit check with the crankshaft, and then all parts will be air shipped and deliver to the 3rd party that will build, test, and evaluate the new engine. The engineering evaluation parts should arrive before the end of July 2020. John and I will be there and we are getting excited about seeing the parts for the first time. We will also document the build, assist where we can, and document the testing.

If all goes well and there are no changes, we should have parts in stock and for sale sometime in September. A firm introductory price has been set and it will be $3500 for a limited time. Dealers who buy 5 or more at a time will receive a further discount.

Pasted below are more comments and questions that were sent to the Email list at "[email protected]"

Like everyone else I’m curious about the price. Do you know when you will be accepting deposits? Thanks, Bill

Bill, we won't have a product to sell until it passes our engineering evaluation that includes appearance and performance testing. I'm the design engineer on this project, not the bean counter. We will accept orders and deposits after engineering evaluation, and where and how to place an order will be published to those on the Email list, FordBarn, MARC, MAFCA, and other places. We are not in the retail business, however, we will offer a discounted price of $3500 that is close to wholesale for a limited time to those that have followed this project since its beginning in 2007.

I would be interested in one of these casting sets (i.e. block, crankshaft, con rods, etc)
I would like to know a price estimate when you get that far.
Thanks very much!
Bill

Bill, The price will be $3500 for a limited time. Dealers who by 5 sets of parts at a time will receive a further discount.

I had a model A engine redone for around $2500.00. Will this new engine be priced around that amount? Moe

Moe, For a limited time after production begins, pricing will be $3500 for the new 5 main cylinder block, 5 main crankshaft with 8 counterweights, and 4 connecting rods. All of these parts will be made in China using factories that make many OEM parts for European, American, and Japanese automobile manufacturers.
I am curious regarding what you received with your $2500 rebuild. When I search the internet, rebuild costs for Model A engines are somewhat more than $2500 and even higher when extra work is needed to add crankshaft counterweights, balance the crankshaft and connecting rods, fix cracks, drill out broken studs to insert Helicoils, add valve seats, and install cylinder sleeves.
The factory in China that we are working with has multiple machining lines. Our order is small and will be utilizing the smallest machining line and that is why the price will be $3500.
If we were to place an order for 10,000 sets of parts, the order would be filled by using a machining line that is fully automated and the price for a set of parts would likely be close to half the cost of a $2500 rebuild.

Thank you for your continued interest in developing a replacement block and head for our Model A Vehicles.
Currently doing Frame Up on 1930 Closed Cab PU. Engine is tired and parts car (1928 Closed Cab) hasn't been torn down yet but I expect the same condition.
I would much rather start off with a new block and head before beginning the engine rebuild
Any communication will be sincerely appreciated. Don

Don, We are only making the cylinder block, crankshaft, and connecting rods. New heads are available from other sources. After 90 years and multiple repairs and questionable rebuilds, it's a good idea to start over with fresh surfaces that are within drawing tolerances. Regarding communication, I've added you to the Email list. All Emails sent from the list are sent Bcc so there is no chance that someone else will see your Email address.

Re-engineering the Model A engine I find to be one of the most fascinating projects I've read about in years. I like my original stock engine, but I'm always concerned about it's health and have interest in internal modifications, but I don't particularly like to modify good usable antique parts. A new re-engineered engine I find completely appropriate for us that like to get out every chance we get to go cruising.in an "A" no matter how hot it gets in Texas. Very interested! Terry

Terry, I added your contact information to the Email list. Thanks for the kind words. The new Model A engine will appear completely stock on the exterior because the exterior of an original cylinder block was laser scanned to create a SolidWorks model that was used to make the foundry patterns. Internally, the new Model A engine will be technically close to the last "L" head engines produced around 1970. Metallurgy, heat treating, rolling all crankshaft fillets, and balancing will be similar to current production engines. The new engine parts include the cylinder block with caps, thrust bearings, dowel pins, and hardware to attach the main bearing caps, a crankshaft with dowel pins and Woodruff key, and 4 connecting rods with wrist pin bushings and bolts to fasten the caps. Everything else is stock Model A Ford and does not need modification. We do recommend a higher volume oil pump that can be aftermarket or a modified Model A Ford oil pump.

I am interested in building a new engine for my Tudor and would like to use your products when they are ready. I am not in any hurry as my engine is low mileage and runs great now. I like your concept and engineering and the options for different levels of performance and reliability. Don

Don, Thanks for your comments. If all goes well, we should have parts for sale sometime in September 2020.
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote