View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #73
wrpercival

Default Re: The Terry Burtz 5 main bearing engine blocks are back on track.

For those that may not have yet seen it, I received the following email update today from Terry Burtz regarding the development progress of the new engine.

-------------------------------------------------

Hello to All,

24 Sep 2019

Updates

In case someone gets this Email without seeing the article on the new Model A engine, the article can be found at: http://www.modelaengine.com

If anyone has a question, concern, comment, or suggestion, please let me know at [email protected] and I’ll do my best to resolve the issue.

New Engine

This project started in 2007 and stalled in 2015 because of sky-rocketing cost and the lack of quality control at foundries in California.

Previous updates, pictures, and videos can be found at: http://www.modelaengine.com

Also see: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265782 for additional information including many questions and answers.

I use the term "new engine" loosely because the only new parts are the cylinder block, crankshaft, and connecting rods. All interfaces for mating parts are identical to original and have been documented from original Ford drawings.

In the 2 July 2019 update, I was happy to state that the project was resurrected and I would be working with others to have the "new engine" manufactured in China.

A lot has happened since the last update on 19 August 2019.

John, who is responsible for manufacturing and quality assurance, has been in China for the past few weeks. In preparation for his trip, 30% 3D scale models of all cylinder block cores, main bearing caps, connecting rod, and the crankshaft were rapid prototyped (3D printed) in plastic.

The purpose of providing the 3D printed models was to help the engineers in China understand what we want them to produce. The factory in China has SolidWorks models of the cylinder block cores, main bearing caps, machined cylinder block, crankshaft, connecting rod along with an original cylinder block and the one good casting from Lodi Iron Works for reference.

Cylinder Block

John spent days presenting the new design to the engineers in China, and John and I were in Email contact daily where questions and suggestions were presented and resolved.

The engineers in China are familiar with current design (2019) engines, and this engine seems a bit strange to them. It's hard for them to imagine why anyone would want to build an engine from the 1920's and use 1970's (50-year-old) technology.

My SolidWorks machining model has oil passages that will allow the oil to flow in two different directions. One direction is designed as original to not use an oil filter, and the other uses an oil filter. This two direction design where the engine builder can choose which to use requires oil passages to be drilled at compound angles instead of vertical, horizontal, or a simple angle.

The engineers in China didn't initially quite understand the reason for the oil passage design. However, from the questions they asked and the suggestions they made, my feeling is that they are are very competent and detail-oriented.

There are many places where a design error could have occurred. My SolidWorks models have not been checked against the original Ford cylinder block drawing. Additionally, the engineers in China convert everything to metric. The end goal of John's meetings was to assist and ensure that the engineers in China understand the SolidWorks machining model which will enable them to get their CNC file correct.

For example, I did not complete the SolidWorks machining model to include threads for setscrews to plug the ends of oil passages and other minor details because I was unable to get good castings. These minor details generated many of the questions.

In the end, the only change that was made to the SolidWorks machining model was to change the oil feed to camshaft bearing #5, and this change was needed to make room for the main oil gallery plug at the rear of the cylinder block.

I have suggested that when the engineers in China get their CNC machining file complete, that they then machine the one good cylinder block from Lodi Iron Works.

Machining the "good" cylinder block can verify that their CNC file is correct. The interfaces of attached parts (head, oil pan, valve chamber cover, timing gear covers, valve train, oil pump, etc) can be compared between the original cylinder block and the machined cylinder block from Lodi Iron Works to verify agreement.

After CNC machining, the "good" casting, it should be cut apart to verify wall thickness for every machined feature.

This wall thickness verification can then be used to make changes if needed to the SolidWorks models of the cylinder block cores.

Clear as mud? There are many details to check and verify. Relaying these things in our updates can sometimes make it seem that way.

Connecting Rod, Main Caps, and Crankshaft

These parts are much simpler than the cylinder block and they will be made of malleable iron. The 1932 Ford V-8 crankshaft was cast malleable iron, and most modern engines use malleable iron crankshafts.

SolidWorks models have been provided and the instructions to the factory in China is to follow the SolidWorks models. These are simpler parts (compared to the cylinder block) and will be worked on when the cylinder block engineering is complete.

Dimensional and balancing tolerances are being specified to be equal or exceed the tolerances on the Ford drawings.

Next Update

We are hopeful that we will have the first machined samples available by late fall and will send updates including pictures as the project matures.

Terry Burtz, Campbell, Calif.

The 7 attached pictures were taken during the most recent meetings in China.
wrpercival is offline   Reply With Quote