View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 09:19 PM   #14
Seattledavid

Default Re: 1947 Ford Super Deluxe Generator getting hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wga View Post
Ampless in Seattle -
Re read your first post - since the generator is 'rebuilt' / new, what is the condition of the regulator? Remove the cover, and see if there if the points from A terminal are fused, or show traces of arcing.

what is the battery voltage not running? With the engine idling, what is the battery voltage? If the generator is good, remove the ground cable while the engine is running, does it continue to run?
To polarize the generator, at the voltage regulator, use a jumper wire with at least one end that has an alligator clip attached. Use the clip end to attach to the B or battery voltage connection at the regulator. Touch the other end to the F field wire terminal (this wire goes to the field connection on the generator). A brief 1 second touch is all it takes. Disconnect the clips. That should do the polarizing.

there is a plethora of info on generators on Youtube. Does not make a difference if the system is positive or negative ground. 12V or 6V or 8V. Volts and amps.

Do you have a volt - ohm meter? If not get one at an auto parts or Home Depot, along with a length of 16 gauge stranded wire, and a couple of clips.

Another thought does the battery have water in it?

Regulator looked good to me. Nothing fused or arced. Voltage not running is 6. I will have to find the voltage running at idle in the morning. When you said to remove the ground cable are you referring to the battery cable??

I do have an ohm meter and my battery is sealed.

Dave
Seattledavid is offline   Reply With Quote