View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 08:36 PM   #12
Mulletwagon

Default Re: Clutch pressure plate New or Reconditioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Go rebuilt. I hear the new ones have issues. Bratton's does not even sell new ones anymore.

While on the subject of clutches, I get my clutch disc from Bratton's Their disc has the incapsuled springs (see picture) while other vendors do not.
I may be the exception but had a bad experience with the encapsulated style disk. The disk shown is a heavy duty disk which if normally used in truck applications. One would think it should work fine in car applications and probably does for most. The PO of my 31 Tudor installed the heavy duty disk with a V-8 style pressure plate. The chatter was extremely bad and the PO said it just needed adjustment (which I doubted). The heavy duty disk has heavier springs and what seems like a harder friction material. I tore it all down and could not find anything wrong or out of spec. I elected to put in a standard duty clutch disk with the lighter springs and unflanged spring retainers and all chatter was eliminated. Thinking maybe the heavy duty disk is not completely compatible with the V-8 pressure plate. Like the retained springs but the chatter just rattled my fillings too much. Maybe its just my unique experience.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote