View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 11:32 PM   #16
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Motor build cost.

Moving the exhaust ports doesn't add much, if anything, save your money. I think some of you should read the " Practical flathead". When I see prices like this, I sometimes think I should go back ti building them. However, I help a few friends build them and I see the cost have gone up allot. Most of my 276 engines went fro around 3 grand, some less, some more. Depending what he buyer furnished. There was allot of used stuff around back then and tha brought the price down. I did my own boring for 100 bucks and had a shop fit the pistons. I did all the porting and valve work and assy for 500 dollars. That went up to 600 later. The dollar doesn't buy as much as it did back then and there were allot of machine shops. My crank grinder was 80 dollars and balancing for 125 to 150 depend ing on rods. I did allot of street balancing back then to save the costomer some cash. Give the balancer one piston, rod, rings and bearings and just spin the crank. Most engines had good rods back then ah Egge pistons are well balanced. Knurelling the stock guides and putting a few shims under the stock springs and the L-100 cam ( re grind the stock cam $80) PAW valves were $3 IN,$5 EX And I under cut them myself. The list goes on but, but there's always the Greed factor that you can't compinsate for.

PS Horsepower ran from 135 to 150.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote