View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 10:29 AM   #55
Ron_r1959

Default Re: Piston to head clearancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
They make some rosin core solder that's about 1/8" in dia. Just feed this thrugh the spark plug hole and turn the engine over and you'll get some accurate piston to head clearance.
Over the years I've done allot of experimenting with the flathead combustion chambers and for street use found the compression and turbulence. In the early 90"s I bout a milling machine and used flathead aluminum heads were a dime a dozen. I made sa fixture that allowed me to rotate the head to any angle I wanted and began machining heads. With a flow bench I could check some of the results. I cabe to the delusion that clearance over the valves should also be .050" at a 4 degree angle. The transfer angle at 8Degrees and the exit at 45 degrees. Angle milling a set of EAB heads .070" and following the above numbers will give yiu a head with a chamber around 60cc. I also made a fixture to relocate the spark plug to clear the exhaust valve, but this isn't working right YET@!! At present I'm working on creating a Vortex/LS intake port. The bowl adapter is finished and a new powered file has bee made to shape the port. Getting old prevents me from getting much done. Right now I've finished the new disk braking system for the roadster, hope it works. Running out of time???
So if i am understanding you correctly, you are milling the head at a angle taking more off the cylinder side? If so what angle are you doing it at and did you ever do it to cast iron heads?
Ron_r1959 is offline   Reply With Quote