View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Fuel Shut Off Valve

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hi 31,

FWIW: Just one (1) experience:

1. I had the same shut-off valve leaking experience here after (2) years, after:

a) Replacing an old leaking original shutoff valve with a new after market shutoff valve; &,

b) Witnessing hard particles of rust (ferric oxide), mixed with hard sand, (either already in my tank, or inherited from dirty gas station gas at my last refueling), creating uneven wear on the soft brass shutoff valve mating surfaces; &,

c) All coupled with having "no" gas tank screen, part no. A9195-T in my tank.

2. Hard steel rust & hard sand in a gas tank can mar any soft brass on either new or aftermarket shut off valves.

3. The recommendation for a gas tank screen (A 9195-T) in Snyder's catalog, (where they indicate their shutoff valves), is not just an ad to get customers to buy gas tank screens -- their honest & most sound caring advice comes from years of experience in trying their best to advise customers that rust & debris in fuel tanks is what causes leaking shut off valves -- in order to reassure this advice, please call Mr. Snyder, & ask him.

4. After unsuccessfully trying to lap an original 80 year old shut off valve a few years back, I called Master Model A Mechanic "Rainmaker Ron", (Mr. Ron Cloat, then owner of Standard Auto Parts), about his advice on lapping original shut off valves with different lapping materials.

5. His response was that he had collected about 40 original shut off valves over the years at swap meets. He later spent 3-4 days trying to lap old valves whereby he said he was successful with only 3 out of 40 when he submerged them under water & tested them under air pressure all of which was a lot of wasted time.

6. I quit lapping mine, forgot about the repair kit & ordered a new shutoff valve.

7. Many shutoff valves have minor leaks, the carburetor shut off valve leaks & the gas evaporates before it hits the floor in liquid form -- wives with sensitive noses that never smoked cigarettes can always smell it in a garage -- most men don't. LOL

8. I admire your high degree of intelligence & concern about careless fires caused by dripping gas in a garage -- remember it is your Model A, your garage, & your house to do what you want when you want.

Hope this one (1) experience helps.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote