View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 11:27 AM   #7
JayJay

Default Re: Is there a way to determine the original color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNicholas2 View Post
I am new to this forum and studying to buy my first Model A. I am a "purist" and want to maintain a stock condition as much as possible.
I don't intend to obtain or restore top tier show car, but I want to stay true.

Is there a way from the car VIN/"A" number to determine what the specs were out of the factory?

Regards,

Kim Nicholas
Kim - from the engine number/frame number, no. A lot of those records were destroyed in a fire that wiped out a lot of Model A production data. but as Mr. Moose said, one way to get an idea is to look for areas that were originally painted, then later covered up. Depending on how thorough a repaint was in terms of removing things before painting vs. masking in place, some places you might look that are relatively easy to get to:

• Behind the fuel sediment bowl, you may be able to see original paint on the firewall if any repaint was done with the sediment bowl masked instead of removed. Firewall color may be the lower body color.
  • Behind the door or body side panels, you might be able to tease them away and see original paint if a repaint was done by masking them rather than removing them.
  • Underneath window moldings you might be able to see original upper body or at least door reveal paint (depending on your body style)
  • Underneath the spare tire holder if you have a car with the spare tire holder mounted to the rear body (not fender mount), you might be able to see original lower body paint.
  • Underneath rain gutters you might be able to see original upper body paint.

I'm sure other folks can offer additional suggestions, but the idea is to look at the body, think like a painter, and see what things would be easier to mask than to remove. Then remove them and see what's underneath. Obviously you're not going to do these to a seller's car but once you decide on one, anything is game. Mr. Moose's idea of laying on your back to look up at the front of the gas tank from inside is as good a non-invasive thing that you can do as any (hard area to get to during a repaint, but if the gas tank was removed it for a repaint will be the new color). You might also try looking at the bottoms of the doors to see if anything jumps out.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with!

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote