View Single Post
Old 07-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
jesselashcraft

Default Ruckstell question

Tom Carnegie wrote an alternative solution to mounting the Ruckstell shift lever for his club's news letter. I thought Tom had an elegant solution so I downloaded the article. I ended up buying an intact parking brake lever and apparatus on Ebay from a 1923 Model T and so far, I'm pleased with how this is turning out. I had the plates and bushing fabricated at a local shop. I'll be going back there eventually so they can fabricate an actuation rod that looks like the actuation rods for the parking brake except the "hump" for clearance around the radius rod is in a different place (the conduit doesn't suit me). I haven't bent the shift lever yet. Before I start drilling holes:

1) When the transmission is out of Ruckstell, I assume the lever on top of the differential is toward the rear, yes? The book says it's "high" which, I assume is the Ford gears or "Out of Ruckstell." Is that right?
2) How much does the tip of that differential lever move ("throw") when the transmission comes from out of Ruckstell to in Ruckstell? (Two or three inches maybe?)
3) How much throw is there at the top of the gear shift lever in the cockpit IOW, how far does your hand move shifting the Ruckstell? (Three to four inches, I'm guessing, between in and out of Ruckstell?)

Hope this note finds you all in good health.

Last edited by jesselashcraft; 07-11-2020 at 03:53 PM.
jesselashcraft is offline   Reply With Quote