View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 09:56 PM   #4
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: 40 Pickup Bedwood Question

Just to give you an update ....

I routered out the edges after searching high and low for a router bit. I finally got something and made it work. I had to lengthen the boards 1.5” to match the bed length - I just capped them with some oak. That worked to my favor as each board had a sizeable crack in one end. After filling t he crack with wood glue, I clamped it together and left it over night. Once the oak was cut I used some good sized deck screws and some wood glue to hold them in place .....

The original boards were 1.25” thick and the outside boards are 1” thick. At Lowe’s they have hardwood slats 1/4” and 1/2” thick. So the leather maker boards got the 1/4” slats, the 1” outside pine boards the 1/2” slats to level things out. That works out well for the 1” boards as I will have to remove material underneath to clear the frame kickup areas. Without the 1/2” slats, I would not have enough board thickness to carve out to go over those kickups.

In my humble opinion, the last pic shows the setup working out much better than I ever anticipated ..... the next to the last pic shows the 1/2” slats being glued under the 1” board. The one slat is inboard - that is to stay away from the bed rail - I will put slats in those areas where the bed rail is flat .....

Last edited by TomT/Williamsburg; 08-07-2020 at 10:04 PM.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote