View Single Post
Old 06-11-2020, 06:42 AM   #11
fortyfords

Default Re: 40 Coupe won't wake up from winter sleep

A lot of good ideas, Thank you all. But 1st, when taking a car out of storage, I always crank the engine over for 10 sec to get some oil flowing. Then I pour a little gas down the carb, cars usually start right up. When warmed up, I got down to the gas station and fill up with fresh gas as I run the tank as low as I can in the fall. The car runs like its on 4 cylinders for sure but the water hoses are hot, the exhaust out the dual exhaust is hot so I would say its running on all 8. I took the 97 apart and it was very clean, blew out all passages with air so I put it back together. Blew air from fuel pump flex line back to tank, removed the sediment bowl from pump, it was clean, and the pump pumps a pretty good stream of gas when cranking the engine over. Removed the crab dist. and all looked good in there, yes it was converted to crab sometime. Brought number 1 up on compression and put a chalk line on the crankshaft fan pulley and the lines moves when I start increasing the rpm so the advance is working. I'm getting spark at all cylinders and I replaced the plugs. Since the vacuum is steady but low, that should mean that the valves are all working. The idle air screws not having much effect could be an air leak but wouldn't the idle be rough or the engine wouldn't idle? Its idling around 550 rpm. When I go to rev it up, it wants to walk away instead of going into a run. When I go down the road, floor boarding the throttle does nothing. It will build speed but very slowly. It does act like it has fuel starvation or a plugged dual exhaust for sure. Maybe I will remove the flex line from the tank line to the fuel pump and see if its collasped inside.
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote