View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
MikeK

Default Re: Burlington vs Reconditioned Crank

All metal parts will eventually break from accumulated stress/flex cycles. If you've ever seen a rear flange snapped off an A crank that is the result of accumulated stress/flex cycles. I'll take a new crank over a welded and reground 85 year old one with millions of accumulated stress cycles in the metal grain interfaces any day.

The Burlington cranks I have used (3) were all in spec when I checked them on a surface plate between V blocks for bend, journal dimension, evenness of throw, and to see if the rod journals were 180 apart as they should be. I have yet to see a reworked A crank that 'measured up' as well.

If you run poured babbitt a reground crank requires thicker babbitt to make up the difference. In babbitt bearings, thicker is NOT better, it is worse. If you run inserts the Burlington crank presents a superior nitrided surface to the bearings, something a regrind will not unless you nitride it after grinding, bringing the total cost up to a new crank.

I have also had one Scat crank cross my bench. There was no oil slinger and I had to make up a thrust with a rear seal for it.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote