View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #83
RockHillWill

Default Re: I could not sit idle, have a new project

DJ: I understand your concern for vacuum balance between inlet ports, as we went thru a similar 'thrash' with the stock cars, particularly with the exhaust and we felt like not only did the balance tube help, but both the diameter and the location made a noticeable difference. The closer to the exhaust port, we could get by with a somewhat smaller diameter because the pulse pressure was more significant. This balance tube concern was MUCH more sensitive when we ran the 180 degree headers because of the closer pulse cycles.

More to your point concerning the intake. I have an interest (more like a concern) that a balance tube might be required, or help, but I have absolutely NO experience with the small bore/port motors, and do not want to add a tube in the wrong place or size. In anticipation of the issue I went to GREAT lengths to flow each pair of ORIGINAL jets to a ready as close as I could read on the catch tube. I used matching pairs of upper and lower bodies and venturies. They were both rebuilt by Dave Cella, just before he passed away, and they were dyno tested within 6-minutes of each other to within 1/2 foot pounds of torque. [NOT on my motor!!!!].

The accelerator linkage will be joined, but I will have separate GAV adjustments and it is my intention to weld in vacuum ports at the outer edge of each intake runner as close as I can get to the manifold and monitor individual vacuum and make adjustments to make the vacuum be as close as I can to each other. In addition, I will 'index' the plugs and read the carbon trails on them, but his might be overkill on this motor design.

I am VERY interested in your thoughts on monitoring the vacuum to make a determination as to whether a balance tube is needed. What did you end up doing for your motor at that time? What are your suggestions for location and diameter???

I am making preparations for a metal shaping event, and this motor work will not be at the forefront of my efforts, but I am still very interested in your thoughts.