Thread: New to A's...
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2023, 10:40 PM   #31
five-oh

Default Re: New to A's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
If I wanted a slightly wider tire I would go with wire wheels from 1935 (second photo) or the aftermarket Kelsey bent spokes (first photo). These will both go onto the stock mechanical brake drums without adapters. Solid rims require adapters if used on the stock mechanical brake drums. In either case I would use the reproduction 1932 4 cylinder hubcaps (third photo) on the wire wheels. Note if you have a side mounted spare you will probably need to let some air out and carry a tire pump.

Charlie Stephens
Thanks! I don't have side mounted spares...I'll keep an eye out for some '35 wires just in case. I've got a set of '52 Ford F1 wheels, but they are at another property and I have not had time to see if the bolt pattern was the same. Sounds like it'd need adaptors at any rate.
I'm afraid if I start with solid rims, I'll find myself wanting to build a period hotrod out of it. As much as I would love that, I think it'd take away alot of the charm for me. There's just something about driving a nearly 100 year old car exactly as it was designed that captivates me. I can't see me wanting to throw that away.
My wife would like me to put in the a/c kit that's been mentioned at somepoint. I might concede to that, just so she will ride with me. It's more fun to share a hobby wiith your best friend and biggest supporter.
five-oh is offline   Reply With Quote