Thread: Fuse
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2016, 12:54 PM   #17
Dick Steinkamp

Default Re: Fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCoupe View Post
I don't know much about electricity either, but I have a fuse mounted on the starter between the starter and terminal box. I had a shorting problem with my lights a while ago. The short in the lights blew the fuse and stopped the engine and all other components from running. It would not let me start the car (without blowing another fuse) until the short was corrected. As Mitch said, it is a single circuit so the fuse likely will blow with a short somewhere in the single circuit.
Ken's post gave me an idea. I could duplicate a "blown fuse" in my car by disconnecting the starter post to terminal box lead. Starting the car with a jumper from the starter post to that lead, then disconnecting the jumper to see if the car still runs.

I found the opposite that Ken experienced. My car continued to idle with the jumper disconnected...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpXun-kX-5w

Again, my knowledge of electricity is severely limited, but it seems (at least in my test) that the generator will continue to power the ignition with the battery out of the circuit. Of course it won't start with this wire disconnected (or the single fuse blown), but the car will run the same with or without once running.

This tells me that you really need 3 fuses to protect the wiring. One at the wire that feeds the terminal box from the starter post, one on the wire coming off the generator that feeds the lights and horn, and one on the wire from the generator to the terminal box. Any less and I don't believe you are actually protecting the wiring from a short while the car is running.