View Single Post
Old 11-26-2020, 07:00 PM   #53
Ketronj281989

Default Re: 1936 Ford V8 Service/Restoration Thread

Troubleshooting started; I quickly discovered the fuse on the firewall was blown. The 1936-year electrical lighting system utilized a single fuse. This fuse tied all lights to the battery. A blown fuse indicated a short had developed somewhere in the lighting circuit. The incorporated factory fuse circuit was an important one for safety of the car. I have decided a stock set up will be installed on the car. A brand-new period correct harness will be needed, more on this item later.

Further troubleshooting indicated my short issued could be related to the lighting switch that sat inside a protective metal case below the steering column. It was discovered wires inside the protective case were frayed and several were bare wire touching each other. Not good. The switch contact points were also very dirty with heave grease which leaked from further up at the steering gear box.

I tested each head light bulb as well as parking bulb. The passenger side headlamp bulb was an ultra old Tungsol 2330. Could it be the original? Likely not, although it is period correct! All front end bulbs tested great on my 6 volt power supply! Both headlamp assemblies were disassembled for cleaning and tracing of wiring to the light switch. The original ignition resistor still in place but disconnected, a post 1936 resistor was added to this circuit. The foreign resistor is likely a 1937 component as the distributor is from the same 1937 year or later pre-war. Both resistor and distributor are incorrect for this car and will be replaced with authentic 1936 factory components. The head lamp buckets and reflectors are original to this car will be utilized. The original headlamp bucket glass still intact and 1936 originals!!

YOUTUBE VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OkGiSxH44g
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (51.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (95.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (84.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (57.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (34.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (32.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (40.2 KB, 17 views)
Ketronj281989 is offline   Reply With Quote