View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 12:48 PM   #56
Kilohertz

Default Re: Let's start a junkyard fuel injection discussion

I went to the wreckers yesterday and pulled the whole TBI system from the 1990 C1500 truck and started cleaning it up and stripping out all the superfluous wires and connectors etc. I discovered I forgot to remove the knock sensor but will probably buy a new one if I decide to use it as it is mounted right below the exhaust manifold in the block water jacket and is a bugger to get to. The ECM will operate just fine without it, it just won't retard the timing as it senses a knock as it would in the stock engine. If I program the spark curve correctly, it probably won't be an issue anyway. I mean the 8BA distributor didn't have a knock sensor.

So my question to the community is regarding a block drain on the 8BA engine. From what I have found they were on the water pump mounting area but I can't seem to find any pictures or descriptions of where they are. I also found that they were not used in later engines, mine is C1BA and is 1951. I was thinking that if the area that had the hole drilled could still be used, I may be able to use that for the knock sensor. I don't want to start drilling without knowing what I am doing.

Could someone familiar with these block drains let me know more about them? Exactly where they are/were and is it safe to drill a hole where it was located?

Cheers