View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #14
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: 1 wire alternator installation questions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41panelmark View Post
Thanks for all of this guys. I bought a 1 one wire online yesterday.

I am sure that the following will stir up some conversation, my apologies in advance for that.

I currently have new a 3 wire, 10 SI on the engine but no matter what I do that thing puts out 15.0 to 15.5 volts. I have tried locating the sensor wire in various suggested places but no luck. I have a brand new fully charged 12 battery, solenoid, and wiring, just don't want to cook a good battery. I had the alternator tested at NAPA and another parts place. Both printouts show the alternator to be working fine including the regulator.

I have posted on 4 forums about this and have had many suggestions on how to hook it up to make it work correctly or add additional fixtures in line, some of which I have done but still no go. (I don't think that I should have to add regulators, resistors and other to make this thing work).

Thought about buying a pile of internal regulators and trying them until I found one that did not push the 15+ but that is a lot of work and time not to mention more money. Besides NAPA said it tests fine.

Because there too much voltage going to the internally resisted coil I recently installed, (15+ volts) that I am seeing on the positive side, I am still seeing over 12 on the neg side, also good for the points I would imagine.

A lot of guys suggested that I go with the one wire and be done with it so out of pure frustration that is what I am going to try next.
Have you ever considered that whatever device you are using to measure voltage is out of calibration??