View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 05:37 AM   #12
SAJ

Default Re: A question for old guys

700 RPM. I understand your problem. I too am 76. I was very active until about 70, when osteo arthritis got much worse in shoulders. I cannot raise my right arm much above horizontal unless I lift it with my left arm. I can then keep it high enough to work at about head hight with my right hand.
That wouldn't be a problem if on the ground under the car, but I cannot work like that because my shoulders are too painful to allow rolling over and shifting about.
So I bought a 4 post hoist. A 2 post is no good because you have to crouch or kneel to align the lifting arms under the car first.
The hoist has transformed my limited ability. Even to adjust the carpets, put on pedal rubbers,
or do other stuff inside the car I lift it to an easier height so I do not have to bend, because I injured my back many years ago.
I lost the sight completely in my right eye at 12 from an accident, so soldering is a joke unless I hold the wires in position in one of those cheap multi arm pedestals with several crocodile clips on pivoting arms. That way I can ensure the 2 soldered parts are actually touching and joined when I move the iron away!
I have found recently that my back pain is somewhat relieved by 2 paracetamol, but this may be because I never took them before, and if I now take them long term they may cease to work.
Now and then there are simple tricky jobs where a younger person can help, and this is mostly under the dashes of 4 different English sports saloons I have. Head neck and arm contortions makes these too painful.
I have not been able to ride my Harley road King for 5 years because of shoulder pain, and my right bicep is now withered.
A bit of a tale of woe, but I am glad to still be alive and able to drive these wonderful old cars.
I hope this encourages you too, since you are not alone, and with targeted exercise (mainly walking), dieting (I just lost 28 pounds by stopping eating between and after meals etc), paracetamol, sometimes ibuprofen for a change, I am now improving. I can now roll over in bed, which was agony and impossible for the last 2 years.
I can still use a lathe, mill and drill, and exchange these for stuff I cannot do when people come for a quick bit of machining work or advice.
There is hope yet for us all.
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote