View Single Post
Old 12-15-2020, 08:51 AM   #11
WHN

Default Re: Consensus on brake drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Cast iron drums are highly recommended for a car that is going to be driven. I read that Federal law allows only 0.060 inch wear or machining off the original ID. I also read that most steel drums are at the 0.100 inch stage, so scrap. The cast iron drums will not fade as much as the steel drums.

On a side note, I have been using an IR temperature sensing gun to measure the temperatures of the brake drums after a drive and using this information to adjust the brakes. So far it has taken me about 5 adjustments to get them where they are about even with the front brakes a little hotter.
You are making a good point. I was told by many Model A people that Model A steel drums could not be turned. I went into rebuilding the brakes thinking that was the case and I would have to replace the drums. Our classic car restorer said that was not the case. If drums are in good shape, they can be reused and work like new.

The drums need to have some meat left on them. If they do, and the system is properly rebuilt, I think you could be very happy with the outcome.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote