View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #30
DavidG

Default Re: '32 standard roadster project - some further progress

Tom,

Given your reference to my first restoration of a '32 roadster, you know how long I've been at this pastime. Somewhere among my stuff is a unused example of the same mirror bracket as in your photos and it has been there for a long, long time as I've learned the hard way not to throw away things until I am absolutely, positively sure I will never need it.

I concluded a long time ago that it was not an original Ford part for two reasons. The first was its finish, which is black crackle paint, not something Ford used, at least not back then. The second is the fair number of U.S.-manufactured standard phaetons and roadsters I've had over the years (6), all of which had the requisite inside rear view mirror with the same bracket (mostly with quite a variety of replaced mirror glass) shown on page 16-8.

I don't think it is a Canadian variation either as the bracket on the Canadian standard phaeton on page 11-15 (shown below) conforms to that on page 16-8 as it has the same lip overlapping the rear top edge of the windshield frame and narrower angle to the deeper 'V' shape.

With respect, as nice as this one is turning out, it is not in the same league as my first one. One of the dumbest things I've ever done was to let go of it and I'd buy it back in a heartbeat if I could find it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 024.jpg (60.0 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by DavidG; 01-07-2018 at 12:44 PM. Reason: readability and addition of photo
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote