Thread: Rivets
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 12:00 PM   #6
rotorwrench

Default Re: Rivets

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The tail end can be between 1 and 1.5 the diameter of the rivet on steel parts. A lot depends on the diameter of the hole and whether they have to be driven hot or cold. I have no experience with the Victoria so I don't know the diameter of rivets used. Ford used a lot of 3/16" rivets for model A bodies. Some were round head and some were the flatter & wider truss or brazier head. Frames generally use the larger diameter rivets and they are best driven hot. Big Flats Rivet is a good place to look for rivets. They have some good info on there.

I generally just measure the hole size and get the closest rivet available for that size but holes can be welded up and redrilled if they are larger than they should be. I get the rivets that are closest to 1.5 D longer than the thickness of the joint. A person can shorten them if they have to but that is a safe way to order them. The head type depends on what Ford actually used. If a person has an example them measure the head diameter since that will tell you something and whether it's a round head or truss type will tell you another.

Ford had big hydro pneumatic squeezers to set the rivets. We have to use big rivet guns or hammer tools if you don't have rivet guns and sets.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-20-2020 at 12:07 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote