View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 05:32 PM   #13
Licensed to kill

Default Re: Time lapse Model A engine build

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I have participated on Fordbarn for better than 20 years or so, and this has always been a topic of discussion. Originally when Ford authorized shops did the rebuild, they used a large burnishing machine to 'fluidize' the cast bearing material so it would conform to the journal pins. Fast forwarding to modern-era rebuilders, most must compete on a price-point which does not allow the extra time for them to burnish bearings. The alternatives at that point are to set them bearing clearance up looser so the starter can rotate the engine, -or set the clearances tighter requiring mechanical assisted starting until the engine has self-burnished the bearing. Part of the issue is if the bearing clearances are left loose enough to rotate freely, as the engine breaks-in the clearances becomes excessive creating noises the car owner complains about. Since most do not wish to adjust (tighten) the clearances themselves, it is easier for the engine rebuilder to set-up the engine tighter to alleviate the need for adjustment within 500-1000 miles.
Are you saying that the assembly of the engine in question was done correctly being assembled as tight as it was (in the other video of the assembly)?. I ask because, as i remember there was a LOT of dissension among the ranks regarding the tight tolerances used on the bearings which surprised me as i would have thought that they guys from Hagerty would know the proper procedure prior to assembling the engine.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote