View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 12:06 PM   #14
Joe K

Default Re: Worn rear axle threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
Just wondered what the torque should be put on an AA truck axle nut,way more than 125 ft/lbs I think .

John in Suffolk County England .
7/8-14 castle (A21941) which according to the chart referenced above (I still have a tab open on my computer) is...

7/8 Fine: Grade 5 = 355ftlbs - Grade 8 = 501ftlbs

I myself remember taking off the rear wheels of an AA basketcase which I brought home. My Harbor Freight "Earthquake" 750ftlb capability 1/2 drive impact wrench would not do it. It took borrowing a 3/4 drive impact from work. (So much for "Earthquake." Maybe that only a "strong tremor" in real life?)

A rear wheel puller from work was also necessary - and a 4 pound "mini-sledge hammer." Also the gas-hammer - and some tempsticks (not to go above 400F.)

That AA was "interesting." Found under a barn here in Cow Hampshire it was seriously degraded due to a generation of dis-use. However, in it's day, that truck was heavily used, and heavily maintained. The engine date code dated the truck to February 1930 (i.e. Borg Warner 4 speed and upgraded undercarriage) but the brake drums were cast iron - which was the 1931 Model AA-Model BB "transitional" drum. (told by a "square" cast into the edge of the drum flange.)

The frame of that truck also had been "rendered" (imagine the loading!) but repaired with 3/4" thick "sister plates" and done up VERY nicely. If I didn't already have an AA truck chassis with only 26K original miles, I would have kept it.

Someone put some serious money into that truck during it's life.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 10-02-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote