View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 04:13 PM   #13
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Shock fluid test results

Here are some pictures from the last I was working on shocks.

The first one is an example of one that is might not work so good.

Next is a picture of all the parts from one shock laid out.

Then you can see a shock that will have a tough time working well. Too much area for the fluid to bypass the vane.

Then a close up of a slightly worn body.

Here are 3 shocks that are slightly to a bit more worn. This is just to illustrate the 2 different directions and how the parts go. The black line shows the path of upper cross hole which is part of the valve.

Mentioned earlier was the lead balls. They are for sealing the corners of the static vane in the lower corners.

While all these shocks look really good, they will not give factory performance with the original viscosity oil. I am guessing that there might be a couple of thou wear at most on these. You can visually see the 'looser' ones and they have much less resistance then the ones that look tighter.

Of course you can not swap parts around. First off there are more manufacturing variations then you might first think. They did little changes internally through production. The parts also may be hand fit to some extent.

When selecting oil there needs to be some concern for the oil foaming as it move through the passageways. Plus the oil has to be able to flow through some small holes. If one is experimenting with oil it might be wise to freeze a shock and see how it preforms with each oil as well as get it up around 100 degrees.

One of these days I will pull out the box of shocks and continue my testing. I had a lot of questions and no answers so I put them aside. Now I have some more answers and need to try the ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2171257.jpg (71.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg P3081259.jpg (53.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg P3121286.jpg (86.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg P3121288.jpg (77.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg P3131290.jpg (82.6 KB, 35 views)
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote