View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Rebuilt generator to 12 volt source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
please do tell....
Looks like Bob and flatheadmurre already did. There are numerous articles and post on the topic.

Here is Rumbleseat post:

I don’t understand why flatheaders take their 6V generators to a rebuilder and have them converted to 12V. The charge is pretty high, usually around $100, when you consider only the generator fields have to be changed. The fields from a Falcon/Mustang/Comet bolt up in flathead generator cases. Like many things Ford did, there always seems to be an exception. If you’re using an original ‘39 or ‘40 generator, you will have to drill a hole in the case and install a grounded terminal for the new 12V field. Ford grounded these internally during ‘39-’40 and depended on the generator mounting for a ground. This new external ground terminal will replace the existing internal ground. These ‘39-’40 generators have only two external terminals instead of the usual three. I’ve been told 12V Falcon/Mustang/Comet complete generator cases will interchange with 6V flathead 8BA generator cases by simply grinding a locator pin slot in the 12V case, but I’ve not done any of these. It’s something to look at if you’re doing one of these change overs. A consideration: The armatures for a 12V Falcon/Mustang/Comet and a Ford 6V two brush generator are a one-way interchange because the 6V armature winding uses about twice the size wire as the 12V. The 6V armature works on 12V, but the 12V armature won’t work on 6V (the 12V armature wire size is too small for the current the 6V produces). Okay, okay..... there is one more thing when using a 6V armature in a 12V generator.... a 6V armature makes only about 75%-80% of the amperage the 12V armature does because there is one less commentator bar and winding in a 6V armature.

I have a much more detailed writeup if I can find it!

Last edited by JSeery; 02-17-2020 at 01:37 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote