Thread: Cracked Block
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
History

Default Cracked Block

After changing a leaking and worn out water pump I noticed a wet spot under the water pump. Looks like the engine block has been let freeze at some point and cracked about a 3 inch long crack. It just seeps like you see around the head gaskets on some A engines but I'm sure will be a problem when I finally get on the road for any distance. Since I don't know if the engine is a worn out junker yet I've decided to try and JB Weld the crack. I figure since there is no pressure and I prep this correctly it should work and if it doesn't I can always go the distance and have it brazed or lock-stitched.

I've drained the coolant and removed the radiator so I could get to the crack. I've used a dremel to V the crack and expose clean metal around so the epoxy has something to stick to. I will drill at each end to stop further cracking. Should I tap those holes and put screws in? I've found another product similar to JB Weld and they even have a video on repairing an engine block. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y-AT8f9J4_E

I read I believe a member here who said they have done this but used a vacuum and super glue before the JB Weld. Sounds reasonable to me and like a good idea but I don't know if there are any chemical reactions of the glue, antifreeze and the JB Weld?

I know some of you will say don't try this and I get that but I'm not willing to throw much capitol at this at the moment. I think I'm going to go for it and if it works or fails I'll post about it. You can point and say I told you so then. I believe it's all in the preparation but we will see.

Opinions anyway ????
History is offline   Reply With Quote