View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 12:04 PM   #34
fred93

Default Re: 29 Tudor charging system question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/GA View Post
A 12 amp charge rate is too much for a car that is driven mostly in the daytime. It will boil the water out of your battery fairly quickly UNLESS you drive with your lights ON during the day. Even then, 12 might be kind of high in summer.

The Ford Service Bulletins said use a 10 amp charge rate for normal driving, which would include some night driving. Commercial and delivery vehicles (that are driven primarily in the day) only need a rate of 3-6 amps, they say (page 391 of the Service Bulletins). See also page 209 where they say 10 amps in summer, 14 in winter, and 8 if you drive mainly during the day.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply--I will most likely lower that amperage.

But the voltage of 10 volts worries me. Anyone have any thoughts on that issue. Could the high voltage be the cause for the diode cutout and the ammeter going bad at the same time???

The owner will probably not drive this car too much. He has a trailer that I am sure he will use for any long trips to shows and such.