View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #33
Jrappl

Default Re: Miss on newly rebuilt 292

I am currently running the import carb but the vacuum port seems correct. Checking timing - at idle vacuum line plugged set at 8 degrees BTDC. Increase engine speed and the mechanical advance works smoothly and increases timing to about 22 degrees.

Plug the vacuum line back in. Timing at idle is still 8 degrees, increasing engine speed advances the timing smoothly up to about 30-35 degrees total. It could be a little more as I only have marks for 0, 10 and 20.

The bare ground wire in the distributor is intact and firmly connected on both ends. I checked it to see if I should replace it and decide to leave it - looks good.

As far as the dwell changing... With the second set of new ignition parts (blue streak points, condenser, coil and Autolite 46 plugs) the dwell is at 28 and only moves 2-3 degrees to 25-26 with increased engine speed. The factory manual says 3 degrees is ok. I'm guessing the import points spring may not have been strong enough and might have been floating some. The blue streak points seem much better - copper body, stronger spring, larger point surface, etc.

I had cleaned and rebuilt the original carb but when I tried it I could not get it to idle - then bought the Chinese one. I pull the original apart again yesterday and I did find one problem. It looks like there were 2 gaskets stuck together on the power valve and I did not notice it. May have changed the position enough to cause an internal leak. I've fixed that and will try it again - maybe over the weekend.
Jrappl is offline   Reply With Quote