View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 06:52 PM   #16
Steve King

Default Re: Snow bird conversion at Iola WI car show

The sled that was at Iola Car show in WI is my restoration. Yes the doors are cut off 7". It is a Super Snowbird with 2 idlers. The Snow bird kit includes gear reduction units that attached to the Model A rear end after the brake backing plates are removed. It gives 2 1/2" more ground clearance and widens the wheel tracking by 8" The gear reduction reduces the 3.78 to 1 Model A Ford rear end down to 8.22 to 1. I replaced the bearings and put new linings on the Snowbird brake shoes. The brakes are better on a Model T than this contraption, they are crude, but could also use some more work on the actuation. 20 mph has the engine wound up pretty in 3rd gear. The model A axle in the Snowbird has one size larger nut on the end than the Model A and holds a pinion gear which has the drum with internal teeth mesh with it and revolve around it upon a stub shaft. I have given people rides in the sleigh on the lake last winter. The firewood is needed for weight/traction and I have an overload on the axle so the doors will still open. The front wheels rotate up or down when the front axle is supported and lock into position with a large spring loaded pin so the sled can be put in the shed or for when there is low snow conditions. One of the front ski sports the brass tag of Snowflyer made in New Holstein, WI.
Steve King is offline   Reply With Quote