View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
George Miller

Default Re: Sidemounts - 1 or 2 ?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Depending upon your personal size, as well as your usual passenger(s), you might want to reconsider installing side mounts. The door check straps have to be shortened so that the tire in the fender doesn't dent the opening door. This reduces the entry clearance considerably. It's worse in an open car than a closed one, but there is significantly less entry room once the conversion has been made. This is tough on - say we say - slender-challenged folks.
You might want to find someone locally with a similar body style and side mounts to see if you really want to make the switch. It's not cheap or easy to do this, either! Consider that in addition to drilling holes in the side splash aprons for the mount arms, you'll also have to hack up the fender itself to install the wheel well. Of course, you could simply replace the entire fender with one that already has a well installed, but now you're REALLY talking big bucks! Plus, you'll have to re-paint each welled fender after installing the well. It's almost impossible to install a well without messing up the fender's paint, sometimes even some additional body work needs to be performed around the well area.
Marshall
I could not agree more. My 1928 Sport coupe has 2 side mounts I do not like them. I also have to lock the doors, because some one is always coming along and opening my doors in to the tire. The rubber straps give to much when you open the doors hard.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote