View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 05:40 PM   #1
Pilotdave

Default Hard Brake Pedal - Update on Post #9

I am wrestling with a hard brake pedal issue. I decided to replace the steel drums in the car with cast iron in 2017. Drums were centered and turned. Shoes arced to the drums. System has been adjusted by several Model A mechanics, most recently last week. Worn parts were updated and shoes were re-arced. Still feels like I'm pushing against an immovable object when I step on the brake pedal. The car stops, but I am pushing really hard. This is very different from our other A's.

Today I tried this test: disconnected rear brake rods at the crossbar and test drove the car. Pedal was NOT hard - perhaps a little spongy. Reconnected rear brake rods, disconnected front brake rods at the cross bar. Same result. Reconnected front brake rods and drove it a third time. The hard pedal was back - along with the feeling that the car isn't stopping as fast as it should.

I've spoken with several knowledgeable Model A friends, searched on here, read Andrews Vol II - the results I found today are confounding them all!

I'd love to hear any ideas as to the cause of this problem! Thanks much.

Last edited by Pilotdave; 11-21-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote