View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 12:32 AM   #46
Pete

Default Re: Success with improvements for touring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
"Tube shocks are a cheaper fix than a properly working original shock, but definitely not better. You can't tune the ride quality on a tube shock. You can on an original shock."

I almost always agree with what Brent has to say but that statement must have come from a weak moment because I know he is an ex racer.
One thing for sure though, most of the kits are cheaper.
I haven't seen one yet that is worth using though. They have taken an existing shock that fits the space available MECHANICALLY and adapted it with little if any consideration given to compression rebound rates suitable for a model A.
HOWEVER, tube shocks that are readily available and adaptable to model A's are easily located used on Ebay or many racing websites. These are for sprint cars or midgets. Some are adjustable, all are available in increments of compression and rebound that can be adapted to almost any car that was ever made. Usually a sprint car shock that has been
"used up" on the track can be used on the street for at least 20,000 miles of good service. I have done this many times. The ride can be "tuned" to almost anybody's requirements. One big problem here is, most people don't know what is "good" because they haven't tried different compression/rebound rates.
The mounting hardware for the model A shock kits that I have seen looks to me like it was designed by a bunch of (expletive deleted).

Brent is right on one count, the stock shock is easier to "tune".
They sure don't work as good as a race shock though.
I have stock shocks on one car and race shocks on another right now so I have tried both. The PROPER tube shocks are FAR superior.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote