Thread: oil filter
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #15
packrat5
BANNED

Default Re: oil filter

Ah yes, the old oil filter controversy, also includes oil types, and spark plugs. What fun you can have getting into this cesspool of knowledge. My nickels worth, (no 2 cents here) is use a Motorcraft. Not that it should mean anything, I personally use it on all my cars, and so do both my of sons. We own a hodgepodge of vehicles, a Santa Fe, Tracker, some gm stuff, and a smattering of Fords. When #1 son took in his 14 Cruze for warranty work, I made him take off the Motorcraft and save it, and install a Delco with EXACTLY the correct oil level, he did it, but was doubtful. Afterward, I asked him if they looked at the filter, and he replied that was the first thing they studied before they worked on the engine. (warranty) he reinstalled the Motorcraft later, and kept the Delco for his next visit. I guess you can't blame them, with all the discount crap out there today. Purolator, and Wix were always good good choices also, but both have recently been bought out by a huge German filter outfit (Mann-Hummel). Both Wix, and Purolator are now different, and I haven't been able to determine which filter survived the merger, and if maybe they combined the best of each worlds. Contrary to what most people believe, the name on the filter means nothing, as many brands are made by few manufacturers. I love the guys who pay big bucks for some brands of filters, (I won't name them) when they are usually made by Champ, which makes many brands. (Motorcraft for one) Fram, the ever present POS can be bought everywhere, from the chain stores, to lumber yards, toy stores, baby goods stores, etc. (Just kidding on the last few, maybe not) Delco shops around and is ALWAYS the most cheaply made of any brand it chooses. Also, there is the unstoppable issue with chinese copies of them which GM dealers sometimes sell as OEM. (big trouble for them if they are found in their inventory from GM)
I have to refind this old website that really will open a lot of eyes, It may be gone now as Fram took him to court to stop him from "bad mouthing their fine products" I would call it more like good journalism.

Last edited by packrat5; 11-01-2017 at 03:48 PM.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote