View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #4
big job

Default Re: Changing stock '34 pitman arm -source?

Good question; BUT I have seen many used in racing / drag strips on early Fords. I will
say working in a machine shop things come in here you gotta think out of the 'box'...
first; this all revolves around the ID of the heim joint and the root of pitman ball in
which the ball can completely milled off leaving a shaft sized to the heim ID & threaded.
second; if there is enough meat the pitman arm can be drilled & threaded for a stud.
with lock nut on back= heim joint the another lock nut with grade 8 hardware . I would
machine this stud with a shoulder with two threaded ends. Simply high school shop 101.
Then there are new threaded balls, cups and springs are available. Maybe your ball isn't round any more causing binding with flat spots maybe a weak spring. This was
used - cars trucks busses forever to relieve road shock. here's one I machined for a 1950 ford F8 what I mean is see in the picture that ball is threaded into the pitman arm...
I also threaded both sides left and right thread so to center the box then clamped on the drag link. sam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drag link.jpg (58.4 KB, 56 views)
big job is offline   Reply With Quote