View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 11:05 AM   #11
JayJay

Default Re: Jacking Instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob View Post
And buy the best Jack stands you can find. When I have my car on the stands I leave the floor jack under whichever end I'm working on just as an added safety measure.
Ditto on keeping a bit of weight on the floor jack even with jack stands. I always put a small piece of wood in the cradle of my floor jack to help it conform to whatever I'm jacking on (the front axle is not flat on the bottom, it's wedge-shaped). The wood may crack as it conforms to the shape of what it's against but that's OK.

And on the subject of jack stands - I see that there are now some aluminum jack stands on the market. The engineer in me says that there is no reason that an aluminum product, properly analyzed, cannot be engineered to an application to be just as strong as steel, but the old fart in me also says (and louder) that steel is real. I have a couple of steel jack stands that have followed me from place to place since the 60's or 70's that are heavy, yes, but that I have absolute confidence in. Newer stuff just seems flimsy by comparison.

Minimum capacity on the new jack stands seems to be 2T. A Model A itself is a hair over a ton (say 2600 lbs, varies by body type) so you're not coming close to capacity at 650 lbs/corner.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote