View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #18
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: are you guys putting the little screen inside the iron sediment bulb?

My 30 fordor had a tank that was full of rust. It would clog the valve and I would have to blow back.

I did a flush of the tank and cleared a lot of the trash. I also changed over to a factory glass bowl with a factory screen and made sure the screen in the carb had proper ends so it would seal. I change to the factory bowl to monitor the level of trash over time.

I also put a tube in the tank so the trash would not clog the valve. This allows the dirt to come out over time and clean the system.

The brass screens caught everything. The carb bowl was always cleaned as I checked it all a few times a year. The carb filter was always clean too. The glass bowl caught a lot at first, but it was not long before the rate of trash dropped a lot.

Let me be clear. You MUST have good screens there are damaged screens and a lot of after market screens that do not have good ends. These bad screens will let dirt past the end. You will notice the factory screens have carefully made ends or edges for the glass bowl. My opinion is you want a factory screen.

Do not waste your time with the paper screens. The filters are not always the best for a gravity system. It is just more area for connection problems and the formation of gas bubbles.

The fuel system is one of many areas where the original system properly built will just always work and never give you any problems. Build it once and drive the crap out of the car with no worry.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote