View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 05:29 PM   #44
larrys40

Default Re: Restore or Buy Restored ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
I have done both, completely restored car(s) for fine point as well as purchasing an older restoration Model A. You can be dollars ahead if you purchase a restored Model A. If I was in the market for another Model A, I would consider two currently on the MAFCA website for sale. There is a 1930 Tudor with 46,000 miles and a known history from new, rebuilt engine, older repaint. By the picture, it is a solid, straightforward car at $12,900. The other is the original '29 Fordor for $15,500.
Unless you are looking for the hobby of doing your own restoration, and have the knowledge, tools, space, time, and money to sink into it, go for an older restoration, especially one from the 70's. That's what I did with my '29 OCPU. I knew the person that restored it in 1969 and remembered the truck. It took me about 30 seconds to make the decision to buy it and I haven't regretted it a bit.

Marc,

As many of the guys have said you have to figure out what you want and if you want to do the work yourself, hire out, and/or buy one. Few cars need nothing ( I would say almost none).... I think Gary made some good suggestions. I might also add that there is a nice looking '30 Cabriolet at the end of the MAFCA for sale that is nice... Door panel fit looks good which is a good sign although the front end looks low so it may need a front spring or more. it is more money at 25K but then it is a Cabriolet. You can't begin to restore one for that and they always command a few more dollars. The benefit of a Cabriolet you get the advantage of having the top go down but the windows "roll up" as opposed to a roadster.

The touring car of choice these days seems to be the slant window 4-door/town sedan 160A or 160B (town sedan).

As I do work for folks unfortunately many and most all need the same type of work done. Poorly rebuilt mechanicals ( front ends/steering/rear axles/trans etc). Yes, it can get expensive but the good news is it is fixable.
The worst Model A I ever drove was a "restored" car. It took some work but it got done and was a silk smooth car afterwards.

Evaluate your liking, budget, and expectations and you can survey what's out there and make a good decision. Gary/ Brent/HL/Mike/Kevin, and others have all given you great advice. I just wanted to throw out some more info.
Also, inspect and drive each one.. put it through it's paces. You will learn a lot. But then too I don't get too excited or worried if it needs some work.. as that's what I do. I just take that into account.

Let us know what you do.
Larry Shepard

Last edited by larrys40; 09-04-2017 at 05:49 PM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote