View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Dave in MN

Default Re: pretesting a transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
I think you are going to find that spinning the transmission on a work bench is not going to tell you much. When I rebuild a transmission, I shift the gears into each position by hand and turn the input shaft to see if it works properly. This only tells you that you put it together correctly. What you really want to know is if the transission is quiet (or noisy) and does it not pop out of gear. The only true test is when it is installed in a car and is out on the road under a load. If you can climb a steep grade in second gear with the transmission not screaming at you and it does not pop out of gear, it passes the test.

Tom Endy
Tom, I agree that installed and fully loaded is the only true test of a transmission but have you tried the method I describe? It often will point out problems with components prior to installation in the car. Granted, it may take a control transmission or experience with previous tests to compare the sounds to and most people will not have that. For instance...I discovered a defective "almost new" bearing using this test. The bearing spun smoothly when held in hand and did not appear to have excessive wear. How this particular bearing would have performed in the car...I will never know. I replaced it with new, tested it on the bench and the noise was silenced. I guess my point here is: It has worked for me and I will continue to invest the 10 minutes or less it takes to run the test. Completing the test may have varying results for others.
Good Day,
Dave in MN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transmission test sized 001.jpg (17.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Dave in MN; 01-13-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote