View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 03:13 PM   #14
hardtimes

Default Re: 33 phaeton 4 cylinder- crank pulley too close to U bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
Hi all

My car is a 33 phaeton which currently has a flathead 4 cylinder model B engine.

I have not worked on the car after purchase much and have just run into a problem.

The crank pulley is very close to the front leaf Spring U boots. So close that I can't remove the fan belt.

What could have gone wrong here ??

Anyone else with a 33 4 cylinder have photos of this area ?
Hey ceejay,
I do not see a problem with the location of your pulley (closeness) to front cross member.

Ok, I don't see as well as some, so the front crank hole MAY be lower than should be....but that has nothing to do with closeness issue.

I just changed out my stock front motor mount, for a replacement '32/'34 four cyl type mount. My front pulley/belt situation looked EXACTLY like your picture. I could NOT get fan belt off without taking engine rear moto-mounts loose and jacking up front of engine...then easy.

This '32 GAZ B engine is in my '30 roadster. Now, guys sometimes change FRONT pulley to larger or smaller pulley...makes a difference in clearance and can change pump/alt/gen speed. I just took off a small pulley and replaced it with a large crank harmonic balancer /pulley.

Of course, people could have changed 'things' around on a car this old. But IMO, the front pulley in your car ended up where it belongs.

If I were in your position with your car, I would check front/rear motor mounts to see if they are proper or need freshening up and adjusted right...because as someone mentioned...the CRANK hole and crank should match up if engine is setting good angle. Make sure all rubber parts are still present and functional. If keeping the 4 cyl, I'd replace rubber and be sure to tighten bolts/fasteners...but not over tighten. Engine should set front up a few degrees from rear...tighten rear in this position, then front.
If you adjust engine by loosening rear mounts, be sure to move gas linkage out of the way...before jacking engine up to adjust position.

BTW...what's the history of this car ? Did it come with four cyl engine and does the other parts look stock (i.e.- cross members/rear end, etc)?

Some, not me, notch the front cross member for clearance of things..like fan belt. I'd rather do it different, as only change belt in a blue moon.

Last edited by hardtimes; 04-29-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: ......
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote