View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #52
alexiskai

Default Re: Ford Model A Camshaft Inspection and Evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
What amuses me is those who think the mechanic trade can be imparted by videos or forums.Its truly a constantly evolving craft that does require an actual hands on apprentiship. In theory,a model a ford is a simple machine, in practice those without the basic apprentice level skills wont be effective at maintaining it.
I guess what I'm saying is, you're not wrong that there's no substitute for in-person mentoring, but if you think that videos and forums have minimal value, then you're committed to the slow death of the hobby, because the number of people who are willing and able to engage in either side of that master/apprentice commitment is dropping all the time. If you want that tradition to continue, then what you should be doing is encouraging online engagement as the entry point of the hobby.

People can and should learn the basics of maintenance through whatever means is available to them. Those who decide to commit to the craft as an avocation can always decide to invest the time and energy required to do a hands-on apprenticeship, but increasingly you're not going to reach those people in the first place without a good online presence.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote