View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 04:54 PM   #19
Synchro909

Default Re: Recap of the "Let's get personal" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob View Post
Yup ...What Dick says. I would venture in a short amount in time vintage cars will will no longer be allowed on the roads.
I look forward to the time when every other car on the road is programmed to get out of my way.
Putting those self driving cars on the road raises some very difficult moral problems. How can you on the one hand, program them to protect the occupants in one situation when in another, that might cause death or injury to more people who happen to not be occupants of the car? For example, a self driving car with one occupant is heading for an unavoidable collision with another with 4 occupants. Does it try to save its one occupant at the expense of the other four? I see great danger on programming machines to make moral and ethical decisions.
On another note entirely but still self driving acrs, engineers from several casr companies have spent time in Australia trying to work out how to program their cars for some of our wildlife. They found it near impossible because when the car's sensors detected a Kangaroo, it couldn't work out how far away it was. When it was on the ground, it might conclude (say) 50 metres but when it was at the top of its bound, the car was measuring (say) 400 metres. Ever seen a confused car????