View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 12:49 AM   #2
larrys40

Default Re: Timing gear knock

I would suggest checking the lash again in 4 equal spots at 9,12,3, and 6 oclock on the timing gear and marking the spots to make sure it is even all the way around. If it is then I would try a .003 oversize timing gear and see what that does. I agree I would not go to the metal gears right now. Honestly I have always used the high quality fiver laminated gears and they have done well. Lots of debate on this but henry ran the fiber gears up through the flathead V8 era and they did well. If it was that much of a problem they would have switched it out long before as there were 5 million "A"s out there plus V8's with the same type of gears. Think about it!

Anyway... I would also make a call ( maybe first) to Snyders and Schwalms who both have excellent reputations and address the issue. Your videos are somewhat misleading as the last one has a clicking noise which seems to me the bolt or piece you used to put in the timing pin is clicking on the dimple on the gear every time it goes around. A stock spring and plunger should do the job on the camshaft cover for end thrust. Again, chat with Schwalms and Schneiders. I believe it's in your best interest to do so.
Larry S
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)